Tuesday, April 22, 2014

52 ANCESTORS in 52 WEEKS, #17: the wrong Moses JACKSON

Following the challenge of writing 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, issued by Amy Johnson Crow, here is my 17th installment, for Moses JACKSON, my 7th great-grandfather on my maternal lines.  However it now seems with new research, that this is NOT my 7th great-grandfather.  Instead, I seem to have been following the wrong JACKSON.  

The following begins what I found on a Moses Jackson - whom I believed to be the correct person. HOWEVER, SOME DETAILS DEFINITELY APPEAR TO BE FALSE, and definitely confusing. That is, it appears that I have been following - as others did - a SECOND Moses Jackson.  

I will be spending a chunk of time over the coming weeks trying to clarify my steps back to my known facts: an Elizabeth JACKSON b. abt 1695 in Fairfield who on 6 Mar 1716/7 married Michael JENNINGS b. 3 Dec 1693 in Fairfield, whose daughter Beulah JENNINGS b. abt 1722 who on 26 Oct 1743 married Samuel TREAT b. 13 Aug 1714 in Milford.  

Oh my.  I'm back to the drawing board indeed.  

Below are the details I had found over seven years ago when I was first beginning research on the TREAT line.  Clearly some steps are quite wrong. I am printing this however, to help others if they hit this page, to see the errors, and NOT reprint the errors in their own trees! 

WRONG BEGINS HERE, note that some details are clearly correct for a Moses Jackson, but not for his wife Hannah Trowbridge:
Moses was born approximately Jan or Feb 1647/8 in Connecticut, likely Fairfield, where his father, Henry JACKSON was building a gristmill. It is not clear who his mother was, his father's will does not name her; several family histories state her name to be Mary Abbott.  Henry's wife was alive at the time of his will dated 11 Nov 1682, several years before he died in 1686.

Moses apparently married 24 Oct 1672 in Fairfield, to Deborah.  Deborah's surname is listed as HUBBELL in Barbour's transcriptions of vital records in towns of Connecticut, but is listed as HYATT in Clarence Torrey's well-known book on New England Marriages before 1700.  Deborah died after the birth of her 2nd or 3rd child, sometime after 1678.  

His second wife, married in New Haven on 6 July 1688, may have been Hannah TROWBRIDGE, b. 6 Jul 1668.  The Trowbridge family is well-known in early settlers' records, having arrived from Taunton, England, in 1634.  Hannah's parents were William TROWBRIDGE (1633-1690) and Elizabeth LAMBERTON (1632-1716).  

The children of Moses and Deborah, 1st wife, appear to be:
  1. Rebecca, b. abt 1674
  2. Deborah, b. abt 1678

The children of Moses and Hannah, 2nd wife, appear to be the following:
  3. Gershom [son], b. 1689, died young
  4. Thankful, b. 1693 [this child is not proved]
  5. *Elizabeth [ancestor], b. abt 1695/ m. 6 Mar 1716/7 to Michael JENNINGS, 4 daus.

More records and histories need to be researched for clarification of Moses' wives and children. There may be a third wife as well.  Either Deborah or Hannah may have had several more children as well.  It is confusing since there appears to have been another Moses Jackson in Connecticut, who could have been an uncle or cousin perhaps.

Moses died at the age of approximately 64 years, on 13 Nov 1712, in Fairfield, Connecticut; his wife Hannah had died about 1697. Some records state he died in Stratfield, which is a neighbourhood on the eastern side of the town of Fairfield. Land records may show where Moses might have been living in the late 1600s to early 1700s. 

THIS ENDS MY WRONG SECTION ON MOSES JACKSON, SON OF HENRY JACKSON.

If you have comments or further information about this confusing situation, do let me know via email at calewis at telus dot net, or below.  I welcome all bright spotlights on my tree-in-progress!  
  

No comments:

Welcome!

Family, friends, and others - I hope you enjoy these pages about our ancestors and their lives. Genealogy has become somewhat of an obsession, more than a hobby, and definitely a wonderful mystery to dig into and discover. Enjoy my writing, and contact me at celia.winky at gmail dot com if you have anything to add to the stories. ... Celia Lewis